Resources for People Facing Financial Hardship – Part II

Last year we published an article in response to the frequently asked question “Do you have grants for personal financial hardship?” With the coronavirus increasing the number of people faced with financial hardships, we need to update that list.

GrantWatch is working around the clock to update and inform readers about the latest grant opportunities. Other government agencies, municipalities, and nonprofits are also doing their part to offer assistance.

Finding Financial Help

Start your search at The site is updated daily and at the time of this post, there are 1,744 grants for individuals posted.

Please note, there is a subscription fee to view the full details of the grants listed on GrantWatch.

There are several government programs offered in each state to assist those experiencing financial hardship. The Government Benefits, Grants, and Loans page has information on all the government programs that provide financial assistance for individuals and organizations.

Things you need to know

If you live in an apartment building with a federally-backed mortgage and you cannot pay your rent because of the coronavirus pandemic, the CARES Act makes you safe from eviction until late July.

  • As of March 27, 2020, you’re covered by a 120-day eviction moratorium for not paying rent. Keep watching, reading, and or listening to the news for updates to the moratorium.
  • You can’t be charged late fees or penalties for not paying rent during this time.

People in need of rental assistance should contact their state housing finance agency or local public housing agency office to see if they qualify for government programs to get help rental payments. if you need immediate, emergency assistance, contact your state human or social service agency to find out what other help may be available for you locally.

If you need immediate food aid, call the USDA National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY (1-866-348-6479) or 1-877-8-HAMBRE (1-877-842-6273). Information is available in English and Spanish. The hotline operates Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM Eastern Time. You should also Contact community or religious organizations.

You may be able to get help paying for your telephone service. The Lifeline program from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) helps low-income individuals and families get discounted landline or cell phone service. Some may even qualify to receive a free phone. The program is run by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC).  Contact them to them to see if you qualify.

If you can’t afford to pay your home heating or cooling bill, you may be able to get help from The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). They offer emergency assistance services in cases of an energy crisis, such as utility shutoffs. You may also get assistance for low-cost home improvements, known as weatherization, that make your home more energy-efficient and lower your utility bills.

Help is available for prescription drug cost. State human service agencies and local health centers provide direct assistance to people in distress or with limited access to health care. They will provide referrals to other local organizations that may be able to help.

Call 211

You can dial 211 from your phone in any state to speak to someone who can help with information regarding finding food, paying housing bills, or other essential services. Alternatively, you may log on to to search for assistance.