Are You Searching for Small Business Grants?

Searching for small business grants can be a daunting quest. Sometimes, it seems like you need an advanced degree in cybersecurity to filter fact from fiction. If you are new to grants, here are the basics you should know:

  1. First and foremost, there should never be a fee to apply for a grant. You may pay for a grant search engine (like GrantWatch), or a grant writer agency (such as GrantWriterTeam), but never for the grant itself.
  2. Secondly, there are some needs that grants will not fund. For example; you’re not likely going to find a funding source that is willing to provide a grant for debts, general overhead expenses (such as rent), or staff wages.
  3. And finally, there is never a guarantee you will receive or be awarded a grant.
Where to Look for Business Grants

Business grants are available through several different funding sources, including government bodies, foundations, and corporations. Statistically, foundations and corporations award the most grants to small businesses, so these funding sources are more reliable for many newcomers.

Finding and reviewing small business grants is time-consuming. Furthermore, the eligibility varies for each grant and can be based on your location, sales revenue to date, years in business, sex, race, and purpose of funding.

Did you know that up to 90% of foundations don’t publicly list their grants? This is why many businesses turn to grant search engines like GrantWatch. Grant listing directories provide an expansive database of verified small business grants, which can save you days, weeks, or even months of research.

For a nominal subscription fee, you will receive access to more than 1,000 business grants. Over 70% of the GrantWatch database includes grants from foundation and corporation funders. The remaining 30% of grants are from government sources. Additionally, GrantWatch’s team of researchers is dedicated to finding current and available grants, which are added to the database daily.

5 Small Business Grants Available
  1. A corporation is offering an opportunity to Latina-owned businesses to participate in a professional development program. 
  2. This foundation is offering the opportunity for veteran business owners to participate in a business development program. 
  3. A major corporation is providing Black female business owners with a grant to foster growth in their businesses. 
  4. An organization is providing grants to self-employed businesses owners for assistance in business development
  5. This government grant is open for small businesses to participate in a mentorship program.
Things to consider before seeking a small business grant:
  • Make sure you have the time and resources to search for a small business grant program.
  • Grants will rarely be an exact match to your needs. Instead, think of your project having to fit in with the funder’s needs.
  • Grants do require your effort. You need to locate the grant, read the eligibility criteria, follow the application guidelines, and include all the supporting documentation requested.

Keep in mind, that most grants will require that you have been in business for at least 12 months and will request your most recent tax return. When you find available grants for your business, there may be a lengthy approval process. Get ready!

For more information, you can also visit the GrantWatch FAQ page. We wish you the best of luck with your grant-seeking!

%d bloggers like this: